Saturday, August 20, 2011

5 years ago today I was moving to Lex...

Growing up is something that happens to everyone, you can't stop it or put it off, it just happens. When I graduated high school in 2006 I had no idea what August would be like except for the fact that I was going off to college at UK! I knew I was excited though! (I mean hello, I grew up in a SMALL town, not only that but a DRY small town)! In High School I was never the party girl and little did I know that I would suddenly be thrown into a wild freshman life.


College was intimidating, but luckily I had an amazing brother (The Vet) that had already put in his full 6 years at college and could help me with any questions I may have. This turned into him helping me buy my books for the first time at Kennedy Bookstore, preparing me for sorority rush (how he knew all the details I didn't ask), moving me into my dorm room, explaining the time line of tailgating (always leaving a good 2.5 hours before kick-off time) and setting me off into the free world. (More details on how he helped me survive in a minute)


I moved in Kirwan IV in August. For the next week we would rush and visit houses by day and hangout at night. There were lots of movies, TV shows, Target trips and food ordering, Getting to know those girls was great and I still run into some of them to this day. Here is one of the pictures that was taken of all us just hanging out. (Of course, we are all on our cell phones)






After rush, my roommate was finally going to arrive and I was beyond excited. I made sure to pick up the room and after she finally found the dorm, we reunited!! (She circled the block about 10000 times before realizing where we were going to live) I LOVE HER! She had no idea what she was getting herself into, just ask her!! This is us the day she moved in!!








Now, back to the brother, lets just call him "The Vet (short for veteran)" INSISTED we go to dinner the Sunday that I got threw with rush. He kept saying no matter what you join or who your new friends are, we HAVE to go to dinner. I agreed not knowing or even thinking of the alliterative motive.


Needless to say, I rushed, and nothing ever came of it. Let's keep moving from that subject! So I met "the Vet" out for dinner that night. After paying the bill The Vet slid an ID across the table.. This little small town girl had no idea why? The Vet then said the words I will never forget, "Here is your first fake ID. That is the least I can do for you to help you get through your freshman year" Little did I know all the excitement this would later bring me!


This is my first bar picture.. Wow, I know!! Theses are all the girls from my dorm floor and my amazing friend Katie (who took me under her wing)!!


So today, looking back on all the new people I met, became close with and now have lost touch, it makes me sad!! But I will never forget the memories which include tailgating, late nights out, playing in the snow after having some beverages and ordering TONS of food late night!!








Needless to say, I miss college! But my time is over and all I can say to all you people still in college is do just as Tom Petty said,
"You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does..."
Type to you soon! Go out and enjoy your weekend!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved